RE: LF: Related Technical Query - Soundcard calibrator

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: Related Technical Query - Soundcard calibrator
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:35:40 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Andy, Stewart et al,
I have written my noise voltage calculation as a word document. There
are plenty of 'pi's in it, but they all disappear by the time you get to
the end, which may be good or bad. The word file is about 30kB - I'm not
sure, but it may require the equation editor feature of word to be
installed to display properly. I also converted it to a pdf file, which
by the miracles of data compression came out to be 110kB, but hopefully
should display OK. Both are too big for the reflector, so I will send
them out separately to whoever asks.

I also found the handbook for the HP 3722 pseudo-random noise source,
which also gives the result with no pi.
It seems that this could produce a calibrated noise source directly for
LF with quite ordinary electronics. If you added an oscillator and
mixer, it could be used for narrow-band systems over a wider frequency
range too.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU