Re: LF: Related Technical Query - Soundcard calibrator

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Related Technical Query - Soundcard calibrator
From: "Stewart Nelson" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 06:54:21 -0800
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Andy and all,

I was unaware of H&H, but my previous post gave the same answer.  It was based
on my naive analysis that white noise was spread evenly from 0 to fs/2,
and that the sin(x)/x effect should not affect low frequencies.

When I saw Stewart Bryant's post, it seemed that there really needed to be
a PI in there, so I shut up.  Now I'm not so sure.

I used Cool Edit to generate 1 second of white noise at 48 kHz.
Passed it through a script that changed positive values to 8 samples of
+1/2 full scale, and negative values to 8 samples of -1/2.  This is a
rough approximation to a shift register clocked at 6 kHz.

A small piece of the wave looks like this.

The RMS power reported is -6.02 dB, much as one would expect.

The frequency analysis plot looks like this:

Then, I did a low pass filter at 100 Hz.  The RMS power now displays as -20.95 dB.
This agrees fairly well with the naive -6.02+10*log(100/3000) = -20.79 dB,
and appears to support the "no pi" theory.

Unfortunately, I can't explain where the pi went :(

73,

Stewart KK7KA