LF: 136 khz weekend

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: 136 khz weekend
From: "hamilton mal" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:10:37 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
A few stations noticed on the proverbial QRS mode over the weekend. All calling CQ and I did not see a single QSO take place. Nothing heard on CW. This time a couple of years ago the band was hiving with activity and it was difficult to squeeze in for a CW qso plus some QRS activity.
Except something drastic happens LF has just about fizzled out, it will just decline out of existence, whereas all the other amateur bands are busier than ever and CW is certainly not dead. On recent trips to GI and CT all I had to do was to hit the key and there were pileups galore. .
Radio operators interested in LF need to be able to make their own black box, be able to solder and operate CW. Since CW qualifications are no longer required, most cannot solder and black boxes have to be build for LF and uncle Sam's boys prohibited from 136 khz the future looks bleak.
Operators in the past on LF were mostly old timers well experienced and well qualified but sadly have deserted the band and gone back to HF. I have recently worked  5 such persons on HF.

73 de Mal/G3KEV