Re: LF: Re: insulators

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: insulators
From: "Eric KD5UWL" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 14:51:31 -0600 (CST)
Sender: <[email protected]>
Thanks, Alan,

I found some mica sheets today, about 10cm square and 7mm thick. I may cut some of these to near-toothbrush :) size and see how they work out unless you guys have previous experience with mica and know it to be a poor choice. Otherwise, I'll let you know how it works out.

I will employ the corona rings.  Thank you very much for your suggestions.

73
Eric

Hi Eric I am not sure about dacron.....but it might not be the conduction
through the water laden "rope" it might be that you have a corona problem.
At that power level its like playing a small flame on the support structure,
then once there is a bit of carbonisation its all "downhill". Do you have
circular "corona rings" at every wire end and sharp bend?? I think this will
help a lot. The guys here have used all sorts of plastic off-cuts for
insulators....down to old tooth brush handles (!!) at 600W or so. Any
plastic can carbonise but its a lot lighter than pyrex or ceramic