Re: LF: insulators

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: insulators
From: "Eric KD5UWL" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:10:05 -0600 (CST)
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi,

I asked previously about mica and had several good suggestions come back (like, stay away from mica, for one :) including sources for cheap ham insulators of all shapes and sizes.

Before I give up on making my own, though, I found one other material I'd like to ask you about: from the same local source as the mica I found phenolic boards. These are (by eyeball, again) about 1.2cm x 10cm x 40cm and about twenty clams US. Thought I could cut several from one of these.

Someone pointed out that mica would likely fail mechanically and also probably absorb water. Do any of you know how the phenolic would fare in this regard?

Thank you,
Eric