LF: Re: Fools and wise men

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Fools and wise men
From: "mike.dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 18:32:34 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

- "Rules are for the guidance of wise men and for blind observance by
fools" -
By the way, if anyone knows the source of this quote then please let me
know!
 It is probably not Shakespeare, but everyone I have enquired from,
including
several English teachers, have all "heard it" but cannot place the source.
Andy  G4JNT (still lurking on this reflector but lost interest in
operating LF)

Andy,

Many web references show this as "author unknown", but the following
fascinating page attributes it to flyer Douglas Bader.
http://www.quotelady.com/subjects/foolishness.html

However, http://members.lycos.co.uk/curmudgeon/misc/quotations.html says:
"Laws are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools."
(Solon, the Lawmaker of Athens, d. 559 BC)

It is interesting to note that most wisdom was written down more than 2000
years ago.

Mike, G3XDV
http://www.lf.thersgb.net