LF: Re: Positions

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Positions
From: "hamilton mal" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:34:26 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Walter Blanchard" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2003 5:39 PM
Subject: LF: Positions

At 16:54 15/03/03 +0000, G3KEV wrote:

>Alex I asked for LAT/LON or GRID REF and not LOC. I already have the Loc
but
>my prog needs lat/long or grid ref to calculate the distance.
>G3KEV

All the info you need to calculate lat/lon from LOC yourself is on pages
144-145 of
the 2003 edition of the RSGB Yearbook.  Just needs a little bit of effort!

I do not have this Yearbook and I expect others likewise do not have it.
All that I need is the LAT/LONG or actual QTH then I can calculate the
distance

No point asking for "grid ref" because NGR does not extend outside the UK
and I don't know of any ham calculator that accepts the world-wide UTM
grid
which is all UA hams could give you.

There are plenty of free calculators that accept all three systems, even
on-line
ones - see bottom of p.144.

Why chase around the Intenet or buy a comic when all one has to do is ask
the station concerned what his QTH
or LAT/LONG is
G3KEV

Walter G3JKV