LF: Re: Expeditions & ECM Smog

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Expeditions & ECM Smog
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 08:52:00 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
G3LDO wrote:
Worked Dave YXM after Laurie and Jim on Saturday. However I was unable to
copy Dave on CW mainly due to the ECM smog. Used mixed mode CW/QRSS3
The electrical QRM situation has has become very much worse than on the
early days of 73kHz. The estate where I live was once very much a
retirement
area but now we have many more neighbours with children. The rise in QRM
on
Saturday morning is very noticable due to TVs and electrical games.

That is also my experience on 73kHz. My own widescreen TV puts out some bad
QRM and I had to turn it off (that is OFF, not standby) to read GM3YXM., and
even then the band was full of noise - no trace of Loran which used to be
audible. My previous TV was cured by putting a braid-breaker on the aerial
lead, but I don't use an aerial any more. My signals come down a SCART lead
which is much more difficult to screen or decouple. Fortunately, so far,
136kHz is less troubled by such QRM.

Tried a sked with GM0MRF on 73k yesterday and could see their QRSS3 signals
well, but they had electrical noise so were unable to read me. They are
working on the problem and we have another sked planned for today.

Mike, G3XDV
http://www.lf.thersgb.net