Re: LF: loop antenna

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: loop antenna
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 09:11:07 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
On 25 Nov 2002 at 17:58, Rik Strobbe wrote:

I am about to put up a transmitting loop antenna. Dimensions will be 23m
long and 15m high. Thanks to Dick (PA0SE) I could achieve a wheel of 7mm
litz wire, so wire losses should be minimized (about 0.04 Ohm).

Excellent news! Hope it works out well.

You may like to consider a totally capacitor matching network as shown on my website. This may be a problem at high powers but nothing like as bad as some on this reflector prophesy. Philips 376 capacitors are pretty beefy components and can handling pretty big currents. Doing this will eliminate any loss in the matching transformer. There may however be some virtue in using a transformer to provide a balanced feed - see the arrangement Steve GW4ALG used when he was active on the band (http://www.alg.demon.co.uk/radio/136/intro.htm) which is a variation of mine. Steve made the mistake of having his matching network remote in the shack, so his feeder loss was in series with the loop resistance - the transformation to 50 ohms MUST be done right at the feedpoint.

Your hoped for 0.04 ohms looks rather optimistic! If it is really going to be this low then height above ground may be important. In my case the effective ground coupling loss relates to around 0.3ohms, half of my total loss. You may find it hard to reduce this low enough, even by raising the loop quite high above ground, to avoid swamping your wire loss.

In my case, the base of the loop is only around 0.5m above ground, and runs against my garden fence. This was a compromise, as it was in any case difficult to get it in the clear and putting the base higher without being able to increase the height of the top would result in the loop area being reduced. Swings and roundabouts, and probably why it never really worked that well.

Good luck, keep us informed.

73s Dave G3YMC

[email protected]
[email protected]