Re: LF: loop antenna

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: loop antenna
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 11:50:06 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Dave, Rik, LF Group,

At 06:36 28/11/2002 +0000, you wrote:
I have just done a couple of calculations on Rik's loop using
formulae from Mike Underhill G3LHZ (which are quoted on my web site).
Mike says that the maximum Q is in fact limited by the size of the
loop and has a limiting value of Q=500/D, where D is the diameter of
the loop (or for a rectangular loop the circumference divided by pi).
Feeding Rik's dimensions into this gives a maximum Q of 20, and it
will in practice be lower than this due to resistive losses

This calculation seems to be wildly divergent from the actual results of less than 1 ohm , amounting to a Q of a few hundred, quoted for "Lowfer" loops a little while back.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU