Re: LF: loop antenna

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: loop antenna
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 06:36:08 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
On 25 Nov 2002 at 17:58, Rik Strobbe wrote:

I am about to put up a transmitting loop antenna. Dimensions will be 23m
long and 15m high. Thanks to Dick (PA0SE) I could achieve a wheel of 7mm
litz wire, so wire losses should be minimized (about 0.04 Ohm).

I have just done a couple of calculations on Rik's loop using formulae from Mike Underhill G3LHZ (which are quoted on my web site). Mike says that the maximum Q is in fact limited by the size of the loop and has a limiting value of Q=500/D, where D is the diameter of the loop (or for a rectangular loop the circumference divided by pi). Feeding Rik's dimensions into this gives a maximum Q of 20, and it will in practice be lower than this due to resistive losses. This formula has been derived by Mike from actual measurements on loops and while I would vouch nothing for its validity myself, measurements I did on my loop some time ago did indicate it was in the right ball park figure. Reducing dc resistance will not increase the Q above this figure and the astronomic voltages and currents rumoured will not arise.

The second formula from Mike is his for loop inductance - it gives a value of 123uH which sounds about right.

The third of Mike's formulae on my site is his for radiation resistance. As I have previously found it produces silly values of radiation resistance for 136 loops - in Rik's case of about 2.5 ohms, clearly nonsense.

Regarding currents flowing in the loop (and assuming the Q stays within the sensible limits above) measurements on my loop done at the 5W level and scaled indicate a loop current of 26A at 400W. This is probably well in the handling range of Philips 376 polycarbonate capacitors - GW4ALG used this power with his loop with no problems. These capacitors are cheap and worth experimenting with.

73s Dave G3YMC

[email protected]
[email protected]
http://www.dsergeant.btinternet.co.uk