Re: LF: Oscillator Stabilty for QRSS?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Oscillator Stabilty for QRSS?
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:15:01 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Steve,

If you want to go for a VFO design I wouldn't use 2 VFO's and mix down but a single VFO and divide down.
In my early days on 136kHz I used a 8.7MHz VFO and divided it by 64. Using a simple 'no nonsense' VFO I achieved a stability of a few Hz, more than good enough for normal CW. Later, as QRSS became,  popular I phase-locked the VFO improving stability to better than 0.1Hz.
There are a lot of nice (and excellent) DDS designs, but the advantage of a good old PLL design is that you can do it with a handfull of cheap and easy-available CMOS IC's.

73, Rik  ON7YD