RE: LF: Phase meter for propagation experiment

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: Phase meter for propagation experiment
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 13:39:00 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

To try to get an idea of the order of magnitude of ionospheric effects and RX drift on LF signals, I recorded about 30 hours worth of the spectrum of DCF77 at high resolution - see the attachment. The trace is from about 2300 Tuesday until 0800z today, each graduation is 2 hours, and the total frequency span is about 0.04Hz. The FFT resolution is 0.7 millihertz, and the frequency stays within +/- 1 FFT bin, ie. within 1 part in 10e8 of the mean value.

0.0007Hz is 0.004 radians per second, which at 77.5kHz would correspond to about 2.5m/s, or 9km/hour change in path length. Each FFT requires about 25 minutes worth of data, so if the path length was changing by a few 10s of km/hour for half an hour or more, one would expect the resultant frequency shift to be clearly visible. However, there are no clear signs of such a large shift. The signal is quite "fuzzy" during the hours of darkness, suggesting to me that small phase changes are occuring over a shorter period of time. I'm not sure about the glitches in the trace - perhaps noise of some sort in the system. The receiver AGC is switched on, keeping the signal level into the sound card virtually constant - the signal level during the night varied over a range of at least 10dB, showing some sky wave must have been present.

I can send a bigger image of the plot if anyone would like it.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU

JPEG image