RE: LF: Phase meter for propagation experiment

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: Phase meter for propagation experiment
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 12:37:52 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
At 11:01 16/04/2002 +0100, you wrote:
Not sure if the Doppler shift due to orbital wobble will affect the modulation in the same way it does carrier frequency. Are there any physicists out there
who can confirm this ?

Andy  G4JNT

Dear Andy, LF Group,

I'm not a physicist, but it seems to me that however the line sync is modulated onto the satellite signal, a change in the path length to and from the satellite will change the path delay, and so the arrival time of the sync pulse, by 3.3ns per metre. At 15.625kHz, this will cause a change in relative phase of 2pi * 3.3ns/64us, which is 3.3*10e-4 radians per metre of path length. So if the path length changes by 40m/s as Stewart states, the rate of phase change will be 0.013rad/s, or 2.1 millihertz. Multiplied up to 136k, this would be about 0.02Hz as Stewart calculates.

How fast is the ionosphere supposed to be moving around? my OCXO reference seems to be stable within a few parts in 10^9 over a short period of time on a good day, and this amounts to a fraction of a metre per second equivalent. So if the effective height of the ionosphere changes by a few 10s of km in a few hours, the frequency/phase change should be detectable without locked oscillators.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU