Re: LF: Soundcard Mods

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Soundcard Mods
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 12:02:32
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello Andy,

if you (your company) can spend some dimes on it I would strongly recommend
to use a good ADC card. There is a lot of plug-in cards available, but we
tend to use Keithley cards. For a recent project I used one of their
top-level cards that included a high quality 16-bit / 100kHz ADC (and
furthersome DAC, accurate timing control etc.), it costed somewhere arround
1700 Euro. If you are satisfied with lower sample rates (40kHz or so)
prices go down to 650 Euro.
It is probably possible to do some changes on a soundcard board to get it
stable at a convenient clockrate, but if you count all the hours of work it
might end up more expensive ...
Also be aware that a soundcard has capacitive input coupling (I measured
the -3dB point at 30Hz once), so low frequencies / slow changes will be
distorted.
Bypassing the input caps doesn't work as it causes the DC offset to go crazy.

73, Rik  ON7YD