Re: LF: Soundcard Mods

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Soundcard Mods
From: "Steve Dove" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:31:08 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Andy,

As a couple of the other guys have pointed out, it depends on the soundcard.

Assuming it does have an onboard crystal or brick to determine sample-
rates, yes, of course one can take liberties with it.  Most audio-type sigma-
delta convertors have quite liberal specs and one can 'push' them
significantly;  50kHz for a nominally 44.1kHz part no problem.  (On a
digital stereo encoder I did for someone a while back, a 96kHz part cranked
to 128kHz satisfactorily . . . ).  One possible 'gotcha', although with ever-
faster machines much less likely to be a problem, if ever it was anway,
might be the service time of the interrupts starting to tread on their own
toes if the rate's cranked too hard.  Never had it as an issue, though.

We regularly mess with the clocks like that for better accuracy / weird
applications.

If you do feel the need to go 'after-market',  look at the external USB
interfaced codec units.  Gets the convertors out of THAT box, and they
definitely have their own rocks.  After-market units for the music industry
although still sadly prone to, um, hyperbolic specifications are far, far better than 'typical 'blasters.

With a touch of "living in a shoe-box beside the motorway", the microphone
input on my raptop is 3dB down at 80Hz. Moral; use the line in/outs.
       Cheers,

               Steve        W3EEE