LF: Re: Re: New band plan (was: GPS Coherant PSK Transmission)

To: "rsgb_lf_group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Re: New band plan (was: GPS Coherant PSK Transmission)
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 14:15:48 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
From Dave G3YMC

I2PHD wrote:
Just to stir a bit the water, what about the following :
135.7    -    136.0        Long distance (TA or TP), weak-signal modes (QRSS,
DFCW,etc.), no CW allowed
136.0    -    137.0        All digital modes + QRSS + DFCW , both for QSOs and
experimentations, no CW
137.0    -    137.8        CW only

Oh dear, dear, dear.
As it happens, the suggested bandplan (at
http://www.g3wkl.freeserve.co.uk/lf/136kHz.html) has now been submitted to IARU
region 1 for ratification.  There are aspects in it which many of us are not in
total
agreement with, but it is has now been submitted so should be followed whereever
reasonable.  G4JNT has now explained his reasons for doing tests within the
normal cw
portion, clearly indicating you can never find a compromise which will meet all
requirements. It might have helped if Andy had explained this beforehand, that
it was
a special case justifying an out of bandplan operation.  I am afraid comments
like
'So as far as we're concerned bandplans can go to the wall when this sort of
requirement rears its head !' are not helpful.  Neither does changing the
bandplan if
it doesn't meet your requirements!

John Sexton wrote:
Do we need to stick with this bandplan? When it was devised it reflected
interests
at that time among a rather small group.
Things have moved on since then.

What has moved on since then is that those who use digital modes think they are
now
the only band users, and anybody else like me who has no interest in those modes
whatsoever is not welcome, either on the band or on this reflector.  The band
is for
all amateurs whatever their interests.  The bandplan was devised with that in
mind.
Unfortunately many we used to have on the band have already lost interest in it
because of this attitude.  I can see the time very soon when the digital boys
have
got their way and turned the whole band over to those modes - I may well have
already
vacated the band myself by the time that happens.

73s Dave G3YMC
[email protected]
[email protected]
http://www.dsergeant.btinternet.co.uk