Re: LF: Re: Radiated power

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Radiated power
From: "gii3kev" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:54:25 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

Johan Bodin wrote:

Walter,

> Jim measured 50 uV/m so MM0ALM's radiated power must be 10 dB below 1 kW -
> 100 watts.

I would say 20dB below 1kW - 10 watts.

10dB less illegal but still too much...

Walter.
If you are so desperate to shoot the other man down please try and get
your
facts right, this is not the first time you got muddled figures. I
suggest with
your calculation there could be the usual
plus/minus 10 db tolerance, and therefore the person to whom you refer
would be
running the permitted power.
I do think one should stick to the permitted power but all amateur bands
must be
considered and not just LF. Why single out LF ?
The specification for the majority of RF amplifiers advertised are at
least
twice the permitted power.
and the Decca is no exception 1.2 kw plus output into a reasonable
antenna would
exceed the 1W
erp. If some are claiming to be running less ERP then the antennas and
ground
radial system must be
so inefficient and hardly worth the effort. I would not like to make a
judgement
about anyone and their power because it is so difficult to be accurate
at a
distance, theory and practical can be miles apart.
If it could be proved that some were running over the permitted power to
obtain
awards, they should be disqualified, and that applies to all amateur
bands, not
just LF.
Some claiming awards in the past on LF seem to set lower standards than
on other
bands. A qso is allowed to take days and weeks to complete by joining
bits and
pieces heard/seen each day until a full callsign is put together. It has
been
proved lately that this is not necessary and a qso TA for instance can
take
place in a very short space of time eg minutes and possibly a couple of
hours
for the slower QRS speeds. As far as I and other DXers that I speak to
privately
are concerned this extended qso business is not acceptable for any
award,
however if a group of persons want to make private rules and award each
other
presents then so be it, as long as others know there is another side to
the
story.

G3KEV

73