Re: LF: ZL DX testing 21 September

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: ZL DX testing 21 September
From: "Vernall" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 08:42:34 +1200
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Jim and other readers,

Thanks for further comments on 172.0 kHz being a reasonably quiet part of
the 165 - 190 kHz band in your neck of the woods.  There are several
participating ZL amateur LF stations, so we need more than one "slot" to
handle the numbers.

Are there any strong signals in roughly this part of the spectrum
emanating from the VK/ ZL region that we could try to receive here
in Europe, as CFH and DBF39, etc, have been used over the trans-
atlantic path? This would give some sort of handle on the signal
levels and optimum time of day for a ZL > Eu attempt.

There are aeronautical beacons, from 200 kHz upwards, however the
frequencies are re-used many times around the globe, so QRM is an issue.
The "Pacific gateway" beacon in the northern part of New Zealand is near
Kaitaia, on 238 kHz, CW ID KT.  This is a kilowatt type of beacon with a
large antenna.  A possibly useful identifier is the carrier frequency
offset, which is around -1.3 to -1.4 Hz from 238 kHz.

I guess this
would be easier to do in the other direction - the Eu LF broadcast
stations are not exactly low-power, and operate continuously, so
should be a relatively easy target for reception in ZL.

I suggest that LF propagation between ZL and G would likely be best when the
path is "dark" or near "grey line" (in a similar manner as per 160 and 80
metres).  The windows of opportunity are relatively brief.  They also
involve a "dawn parade" for "enthusiasts" at one end of the path, hi hi.

Also note I have amended the subject title, and changed the date to 21
September (less confusing for chaps who live near Greenwich :-).

73, Bob