LF: ZL tx

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: ZL tx
From: "Walter Blanchard" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 21:16:52 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
If you boys in ZL can't hear the German commercial monster Europe 1 on 183 kHz (2 megawatts erp) there doesn't seem much chance we'll hear you. All the integration in the world isn't going to recover 63 dB (assuming it's a reciprocal path of course). Working to VE7/W7 it is different - the approximately north/south darkness path for you means daylight in our half of the globe so Europe 1 shouldn't propagate around to VE7 and jam you although it's only half as far away. It has to go over the Polar Cap so add 20 db to the usual figures.

And vice-versa. Until you hear DBF39 you won't hear us on 136. And even then we would have to make up about 37 dB. It might be a good idea if somebody in ZL could organise an automated watch on DBF for the next six months to see if anything is heard (seen?). Shouldn't be too hard to do with Argo, Speclab, or similar.

Walter G3JKV.