LF: Re: Signalling margins and Shannon

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Signalling margins and Shannon
From: "Alberto di Bene" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 19:06:45 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Talbot Andrew wrote:
 Has anyone looked at what Signal to Noise is realistically viewable on a spectrogram display ?   Assuming bandwidth equal to FFT bin size, my few tests suggest around 10dB but it would be nice to have a more authoritative  figure to calculate with.   Obviously depends on colour palette and number of colours on the display so after a couple of years of experience with Spectrogram and now Argo, what has anyone found ?

Maybe those 10dB are a bit on the pessimistic side. Before writing Spectran and Argo, I used the FFTDSP program by AF9Y, which has
an S/N indicator. I remember having seen with it traces of signals whose S/N was reported being a couple of dBs.
Those of you who have calibrated signal sources could arrange a testing fixture to give more accurate values.

73  Alberto   I2PHD