Re: LF: Re: Re: Signalling margins and Shannon, shud we move on?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Re: Signalling margins and Shannon, shud we move on?
From: "Stewart Bryant" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 08:57:00 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

Larry Kayser wrote:

Gentlemen:

With the completion of the TransAtlantic QSO is it time to consider moving
on?

I would hope that on reflection you do not feel the need to.

The slow signal methods are just as much a part of LF operation as the
conventional
methods. You have only to look at submarine communications and deep space
communications to understand that slow communications have a serious role
to play in long distance comms.

Also if you think back to the RSGB convention, there was one paper that
suggested
that we are massively overestimating the efficiency of our antennas. If that
work
holds up, then we will have to drop power to conform to the licience ERP
condition, and the we may well find that slow weak signal methods are the only
viable
technique.

73

Stewart G3YSX