LF: Weekend Report: 17-18/02/2001

To: "LF Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Weekend Report: 17-18/02/2001
From: "Steve Rawlings" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:03:36 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi All,

Although I was not QRV on 136 kHz on Saturday, I did have a very
enjoyable visit with John G4CNN at his QTH in Caversham.  - Lots
of smart homemade gear was seen, and I observed some very
interesting possibilities for using the nearby trees as antenna
supports.  We just need to learn a bit more about using
catapults!
But I do know that 136 kHz was packed with CW communication on
Sunday morning!  Using my 12 m vertical, I worked:
F6CNI - Andy has raised some of the loading further up the
vertical part of his antenna, and seems about 6 dB stronger. PA0SE - Nice to work you again, Dick. Shame about the QRM, but nice to hear so much activity!
G3BDQ - John has added more wire to his fine antenna.
G3WFM - Good to hear John back on the band.
G0UPU - Roger has recently returned to the band, and is now quite active on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
G6NB  - Bill is another regular, and is often on 136 during
weekdays
       too.
G8TB  - After some initial QRP tests a while ago (with G8RW),
Bernard fired up his 100 W PA to work G8RW and then called me for his second QSO on 136 kHz. G3XDV - Mike was a very fine 599 signal, having re-positioned his loading coil as described in his recent Email.
From memory, I think that I also heard G8RW; EI0CF; G3OLB;
PA0BWL; and ON7YD.

Later on Sunday, I got the balloons up at 27 m for a few hours to
work:
GM3YXM/P - The familiar big signal from Dave, all being keying
via an
          interesting design of morse key.  (I'll let Dave
explain
          later.)
DF0WD    - I exchanged 579 both ways with the station op. Wolf
(DL4YHF).
          He reported that my signal was about the same as
Dave's!
G8RW     - At the moment, Bob is probably the UK's most active
          communicator on 136.
DJ0IE    - A long chat with Uli, who has recently installed new
station
          equipment.
PA0BWL   - I just managed a QSO with Wil before I had to
dismantle the antenna.

Regards to all,
Steve GW4ALG