LF: RE: Freq stability

To: "'Vernall'" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: RE: Freq stability
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 09:36:26 -0000
Cc: "LF Group \(E-mail\)" <[email protected]>
Sender: <[email protected]>
-----Hi.  I am nearing the end of writing my column in the local amateur radio journal and I am a bit thin on
frequency stability guidelines for working QRSS and BPSK on LF.  Nobody in ZL has yet got going on these modes but I want to publish info that does not give any locals a bum steer as to what to do to get into digital modes on LF.

Could you fire me some summary comments on what frequency stability should be achieved by transmitters and receivers to join the game, for respective modes?
Cheers,
Bob ZL2CA

Hi Bob -
I've copied this reply to the LF Group as well for general information...........

QRSS ( 'SLOWCW', why invent meaningless Q codes for the sake of it) as usually practiced now, calls for a resolution bandwidth of 0.3Hz or wider in order to see the 3s dot period.  But as this mode is always viewed on a spectrogram display generated from an FFT, we are actually seeing a large chunk of spectrum, typically many 10s to 100Hz simultaneously and a drift of a 1Hz or so probably won't be noticed.  Thus the frequency stability needed for this mode can be a very poor 10 parts per million - which even the cheapest and nastiest crystal can manage - hence one of the popularities of the mode.  A 10s dot peroiod is occasionally used calling for a 0.1Hz bin size or less but still a few ppm accuracy will suffice.

For BPSK, a frequency stability of the order of a tenth the bit rate is needed,a lthough a figure of better than this speeds initial lock up.  Once locked, the frequency can drift outside this range, and manual assistance ina chieving initial lock by 'nudging' the tuning process can allow worse initial frequency setting accuracy.    So for the 100ms (10B/s) rate we normally use, 1Hz stability is ideally needed, better to aim for 0.2Hz and not have to play around with initial acquisition - still well within the capabilities of any crystal oscillator.

So to summarise,  by recommending crystal oscillator stabilities you won't be giving any wrong steers - 1 part per million should be the stability people should really aim for, but a factor or so worse than this can still be useable with Spectrogram type modes.

I myself use a Direct Digital Synthesizer source driven routinely by a TCXOo scillator adjusted up for a repeatable 0.1ppm.   The DDS tunes in 0.001 Hz steps and without accurate calibration achieves 0.03Hz accuracy, with calibration against off air signals (eg MSF in the UK) 0 .001Hz is possible.  For times when some distant stations actually get set up for some serious experimentation with very narrow band modes, I have Droitwich and TV sync locked frequency sources - both hangovers from microwave operating, (all home station operators and several /P have constructed one or the other of these). All these give a frequency setting accuracy of a few parts in 10^-9 - about 1mHz at 137k.
For calibration purposes, a GPS receiver giving 1s pulses drives the external clock of a frequency counter allowing 1000s / 10ks (2.78 hour) or 100ks (just over 1 day) gating periods.    Also have a Caesium standard but prefer to only turn it on once in a while when needed as the tube is nearing the end of its life and its usefulness for LF is debateable.  For calibration the GPS pulses are traceable to international standards and can be used immediately, whereas the Cs standard would need to be set up each time and run for several days to guarantee its few parts in 10^-11 accuracy.

Sorry to sound a bit cynical about LF frequency accuracies and stabilities, but having spent over 10 years with narrowband operation on the microwaves bands,o ften from exposed portable locations, where the 1ppm accuracy that very few LF operators bother to aim for is several SSB bandwidths, I am rather surprised at the difficulties many seem to have and the poor stabilities still being seen on LF now.  At least the disgusting LC oscillator has faded out, but the norm now seems to be two VCXOs mixed, which I suppose is comparable to an LC VFO on the HF bands, not something seen too often now, fortunately.   Up on 10GHz a low cost crystal heater is the minimum anyone ever uses and 1ppm is usually the result.  Operators routinely calibrate with beacons and other stations throughout an operating period and everyone knows at least when they are within a 3kHz SSB bandwidth tuning range.

Ironically, HF has the lowest requirement for frequency stability.  With ionosphericp ropagation causing several Hz shifts over minutes, as well as multipath with several millisecond delays, who needs better than 0.2 ppm frequency accuracy?

Andy  G4JNT

For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution,
or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information is
prohibited and may be unlawful.