LF: Happy New Year - Transatlantic

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Happy New Year - Transatlantic
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 17:35:55 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

A happy new year to all - I have been without E-mail facilities over Christmas, so have just spent a couple of hours reading through the 260 or so e-mails that had accumulated - mostly from the LF group! It might take a while to digest all of it.

I didn't have a lot of time for radio things over the holiday, but like several others I was able to copy VE1ZZ most nights - best reception was during the early mornings of 25th and 26th of December. The limiting factor on signal quality at my QTH was QRN, which perversely was much higher than it had been in the run- up to Christmas. I was quite suprised that the signal strength could vary as quickly as it does, sometimes 5 minutes is all the difference between good copy and unreadable signals.

I look forward to the tests of the 12th/13th, and will certainly be taking part. As far as frequencies go, the best bet as far as I can see for the EU side is using the bottom band edge as we did effectively in the autumn - provided we avoid the frequencies used by SXV, this should avoid interference to other users in Europe, and is the favoured part of the band for Canadian/USA listeners. The 136.5kHz frequency in use by VE1ZZ is probably OK, provided nobody decides to fire up on CW; but usually activity is low late at night. So I plan to use either 135.715kHz, or 135.916kHz depending on what SXV is doing, or unless somebody else desperately wants to use these frequencies.

Something else that would be worth clearing up is what dot lengths will be in use - VE1ZZ has made use of rather short dots, which works OK for his signal . But since he appears to have a much higher ERP available than any European station, it would probably be best if everyone else stuck to 3s dots. In any case, it would help to know in advance, so that software settings can be optimised.

I also got my BPSK receiving gear going over Christmas- I now have a W&G SPM19 level meter with homebrew external preselector and demodulator, feeding one of G4JNT's PIC interfaces to VE2IQ's "Coherent" software. The SPM19 has an ovened reference with 10e-7 stability, and 1Hz tuning steps. The demodulator uses the reference output to synthesise the BFO frequency, maintaining the overall stability, which should therefore be more than adequate. I have not yet received any off-air signals, but loop-back tests with a signal generator and BPSK modulator worked fine; I am now working on the transmitter - I just hope that everybody does not lose interest before I get the whole thing finished! I am a bit sceptical about the "Grab" feature of Coherent - the longer the grab length, the less random the output data seems to become, even with just noise being fed into the demodulator input.

I saw quite a few unusual modes on 136kHz; Andy's SMT-hell, what I presume was PSK31from DK8KW and friends, and something which seemed to be the key-clicks of a CW signal, without the rest of the signal, when looking at 136.5kHz.

I worked G3KMP for the first time on 136kHz - Colin expressed an interest in getting active soon on 73kHz, and being located in Hastings, he should be easily within range of a number of people; as before, I intend to be active on 73kHz on Friday evenings, if anyone else wants to try out their new NoVs.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU