Re: LF: Happy New Year - Transatlantic

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Happy New Year - Transatlantic
From: [email protected]
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 00:33:36 EST
Sender: <[email protected]>
In a message dated 1/2/01 12:39:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

<< I am a bit sceptical about the "Grab" feature of Coherent - the longer the grab length, the less random the output data seems to become, even with just noise being fed into the demodulator input. >>

Are you sure it's just noise, Jim? After all, there are those who are convinced they can extract spirit voices from blank magnetic tape and terminated microphone inputs of audio amplifiers. Why not BPSK from "the other side" as well? <grin>

Actually, I think you'd find this effect wouldn't show up if you were to use plain ASCII. If Bill de Carle and/or Andy come along, they may wish to amplify upon or correct my train of thought here, as I'm working from a very elementary understanding of error correction techniques, but I believe the effect is an artifact of error-tolerant coding methods.

When one defines an error correction protocol, the decoder is required to make a decision about whether an error exists, based on the state of specific bits or combinations of bits transmitted along with the payload data. If an error is detected, a best-guess estimate is made of what the original character might have been, given the pattern of corruption perceived. A good correction algorithm will make educated guesses, which in turn will be based in one fashion or another on probability.

Hence, with most any error correction scheme (if the output is not deliberately muted at some threshold) when the input trends toward truly random noise, the decoder will keep guessing at what output would "make sense" for the nearest combination of legitimate bits. Since what "makes sense" to the algorithm is based on probabilities defined by the programmer, the decoder will trend toward certain symbols more than others.

I'm sure there are better mathematical terms for this, but the essence is: if the input to COHERENT is truly random, the output is a "weighted randomness." It's just as truly random as the input. All legal symbols will eventually appear, and there will be no real order to them.

However, the chance of any one character appearing at a given instant is no longer a simple 1-chance-in-x-to-the-power-of-y probability. It's more like the randomness of energy from an incandescent lamp. Energy levels of individual photons in the flux are definitely random, yet the spectral curve peaks at some color temperature around which most of the energy will be found.

A suitable analogy for the Grab feature might be an optical filter that happens to have the same response curve as the incandescent light source being shone through it. The more such filters one stacks in front of the light (that is, the greater Grab depth), the narrower the range of wavelengths which will be visible to the eye. Ultimately, the light would appear nearly monochromatic, just as the decoder would clearly begin to output one character more often than all others; but it would never truly become--pardon the expression--coherent.

73,
John KD4IDY