LF: GPS receivers, cheap

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: GPS receivers, cheap
From: "Larry Kayser" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 16:06:15 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
Greetings All:

Earlier I messed up a bit, I forgot to emphasize that the best sources of
cheap GPS receivers is to stay in touch with the APRS, Automatic Position
Reporting Service amateur community.  I have no idea how they do it but they
seem to find cheap GPS receivers, especially OEM types, frequently and at
very good prices.

I have no idea if APRS is popular in Europe, I frankly dont know why APRS is
popular at all, but there is a large and growing community of activity over
here.  Search them out on the Internet and keep in touch and make some
inquiries and I am sure that others like myself last year, will find a
source of receivers at a very low price.

I have just spoken with a local, well 35 miles away, who is into APRS and he
tells me that there were some very cheap GPS RX's around in early November -
he thinks they were mentioned a few times on the TAPR APRS SIG (Special
Interest Group).

Larry
VA3LK