Re: LF: Dipole antenna at LF

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Dipole antenna at LF
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:41:19
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Andy,

Very interesting idea. Many years ago I did read somwhere an article about
horizontal dipoles used in the desert that were just laying on the sand.
But I cannot remember where I did read it nor what frequecies were involved.
Since the polarization will be horizontal the antenna should work better
the poorer the ground is. Assuming that even on the poorest ground the
'virtual mirror' will be only a fraction of the wavelength these antenna
will radiate at rather high angles compared to the 'traditional' antennas.
This fact and the horizontal polarization make me believe that it will be
no good for surface wave propagation (for that reason probably the
'commercials' never tried it), but it might be a good sky wave launcher.
Only way to find out if (and how) it works is to try it ...

73, Rik  ON7YD