Re: LF: Dipole antenna at LF

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Dipole antenna at LF
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:13:27 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
> Many years ago I did read somwhere an article about
> horizontal dipoles used in the desert that were just laying on the
> sand.

I hope this relates, but we used to lay MF and HF antennas on the
surface of the snow or even ice in the Canadian Arctic.  When we
started it was a big deal to use some poles about 5 or 6 ft long to
support the antennas, then we noticed it did not mater (when they fell
down) so we just let the wire lay on the surface.

This seems to work much better on HF than LF. I have certainly used HF antennas that have fallen down, and they work fine for short skip.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.lf.thersgb.net