Re: LF: Dipole antenna at LF, Wet Stuff?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Dipole antenna at LF, Wet Stuff?
From: "Larry Kayser" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:18:50 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
interesting. Especially as some of us recently experienced that wet stuff
absorbs a lot of RF.

? "wet stuff", what do you mean?  Snow and ice at -40c (or f ;<] hi) are the
best insulators around and they sure are not "wet" Hi.  If I have it right
your talking about white "wet stuff" that was barely frozen that you
recently had in the UK?  Yes that is "wet stuff", what we call spring,
summer and fall over here hi.  We have four seasons here, Seriously cold and
lots of snow, wet soggy and cool with big snow storms not forecasted,
occasionally warm with snow flurries and preparing for seriously cold with
daily white outs.

What frequencies were used at MF ?

The lowest would be around 1.7 mHz up to 12 mHz .  I mostly worked CW and
the lower frequencies.  We did have one channel at 1.7 mHz CW to Greenland
that worked especially well.  I liked the transmitter, it had tubes and kept
my fingers warm hi.    I have had a fond affection for 2E26 tubes (oops
valves) ever since....

Larry
VA3LK

PS, seriously, snow and ice are excellent insulators but any "water" which
would denote "wet" snow and ice would be a disaster for RF, agreed.