LF: Larry 19th/20th

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Larry 19th/20th
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 12:43:09 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi all, I have now had time to reassess my captured files for the Fri/Sat on
137.790. After allowing for the calibration error I now recognise that I had
a good clear signal from Larry around midnight to 0100z .

I am however finding some problems with the autosave on Argo. (Sorry
Alberto, would normally have sent this direct but I havent resurrected my
address-book yet.) I find the timed capture is capturing the displayed
screen rather than the application window.....the later may not be possible
when there is another application over the top.....but I think it is done in
the program '2020'.  The second point is that on 30sec dot mode the save
seems to be about every couple of minutes which means that there is a vast
overlap. The screen width at 30sec dots is about 17minutes. I ran out of
disc space last night after saving 300 jpg files!

I will trawl through these to try and find of how the signal varied during
the night. Ah, also that diatribe on propagation was a personal mail to you
Larry not a submission to the group, so Andy would not see that.(I can
forward a copy if you would like to be 'bored' Andy!) If the after-effects
of the flare run to a similar schedule as I have seen previously we should
after a few days see violent deep fading on the path. This should be
accompied by a significant widening of the trace seen on Andy's dopplergram.

My feeling is that I would have copied a signal at 10 sec dot mode on both
nights. It does seem that I probably detected a signal at 3 sec dots at at
least 'T' over the 13/14th, but rejected it (and cleared the capture-files)
as not being on the correct frequency, not knowing of Larry's power-problem
induced shift. Its a pity CFH is still down as I have nothing to compare
with to evaluate the 'progess' of the current event.

LF continues to be packed with interest, which is a great thing for the
Centenary of the first radio crossing of the 'pond'....thanks all.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]