Re: LF: CW & QRSS

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: CW & QRSS
From: "g3ldo" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:00:03 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

Rik said:

For the last years I keep note of the stations and hear, about a year ago
had about 20 stations in CW and about 5 stations in QRSS over a weekend.
Now I have about 10 stations in CW and still about 5 stations in QRSS.
What I have also noticed is that the activity shifted from the UK toward
the continent, there is a lot of activity from PA, DL and F now.

This ratio of normal CW to QRSS is about the same as for my own operating.
Over the last six weels the sum total of my CW activitiy is GW4ALG, PA0BWL,
F6CNI, IK5ZRP and EI0CF.  The QRSS transmissions include two test
transmissions for VE1ZZ and a two-way QSO with CT1DRP.
At the moment I am making a QRSS test transmission on 135.9125kHz. A
frequency check by anyone watching would be appreciated.

As regards my QSO with CT1DRP on 136.4kHz. As I mentioned in a previous
e-mail I had to modify the antenna because of a cracked insulator. The
resulted in a reduction in antenna capacitance. I jury-rigged an inductor as
a temporary measure but the setup would not tune above 137kHz.
When a QSO with Brian was contemplated I found that he could not tune below
136.2kHz because of the Greek RTTY station, which is apparently quite strong
at his QTH. I was monitoring the band using ARGO, and as there was no
activity at all there I decided on a QRSS QSO in the CW sector.
I did say at the time I would probably get 'flamed' on e-mail.
For those who are anti-QRSS I would suggest they get a copy of ARGO. All you
need is your computer with a sound card and a connector to the headphone
socket of the receiver. It is simple and intuative to use and is excellent
for CW only operators to see just what is going on on the band. You can also
identify the QRSS operators and not have to rely on anyone else to provide
identification.
Just give it a try.

Regards,
Peter, G3LDO