LF: Mains Borne Noise

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Mains Borne Noise
From: "Soegiono, Gamal" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:07:40 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello Costas, hello all,

thank you for your interest on my isolation
transformer solution and the suggestions you made.

CK> The only problem with this approach is that in case of CK> electrical fault or lightning strike one of the two CK> earths conductors is at a high potential (voltage) CK> in respect to the other. As the earth conductors are CK> connected also to various metal objects (water pipes, CK> equipment chassis etc) this situation can easily cause CK> electrical shock or fire.

P -------W S S  W----------EMF-----p"P"
        W S S  W
N -------W S S  W
          S S-CT
G ---------+ |  W
            |  W----------EMF-----p"N"

            +---------------------pG

P = phase conductor of standard mains
N = return conductor of standard mains
G = safety conductor of standard mains

S = shields of transformer
CT = center tap
W = windings of transformer
p"P" = private phase conductor
p"N" = private return conductor
pG = private safety conductor
EMF = electromagnetic fuse (double sense, double throw)

Note: p"P", private phase conductor and p"N", private return conductor in fact are more or less symmetrical in potential referred to pG and (capacitively) to G.

Regarding case of electrical faults:

fault-1 (p"P" touches pG)
fault-2 (p"N" touches pG)
fault-3 (p"P" touches p"N")

The EMF will detect these 3 situations and will
shut off both, p"P" and p"N" conductors.

I think electrical shock is impossible as long as all connetions made with conductor pG are low ohmic and as long as EMF does not fail (when did you check resistance of the safet conductor in your house wiring last time? ;-).

Regarding case of lightning strike:

Lightning cannot strike G, nor can it strike pG
directly (those conductors are underneath earth surface).

Lightning can however strike outdoor equipment such as the antennas. Antennas are protected with safety spark gap (approx. 15 kV flashover voltage)
connected to mentioned private grounding rod
(direct electrical continuity with pG, indirect
electrical continuity with G via soil).

Antennas are connected via LC circuits with coaxial cables. Shields are directly connected with private grounding rod. Center conductors
have arrestors outdoors and at the shack end
(protection levels 1kV/250 V respectively).

Coaxial cables run in steel conduit, 70 cm below
soil surface for 7m length, before entering the house.

I do not see any chance of built up of lethal
voltages in between conductors G, pG and local
soil potential. In case of direct hit of a
lightning strike into antenna, the conductor
pG and all metallic objects connected to it
will jump to a potential Istrike times
ground rod to earth resistance (6 Ohms in
my case). This will happen as well if I directly
connect conductors pG and G. So where is the
benefit of using conductor G exclusively?

CK> A few years ago somebody tried a similar isolation CK> system but conencted together the two earth CK> conductors with an inductor made of thick CK> electrical wire on a ferrite toroid. The coil CK> had very small reactance at power frequency CK> (50/60 Hz) but blocked conducted noise at radio
CK> frequencies.

This is a good idea as such and was taken into
consideration as well. Finally I did not implement
this for the following reason:

Receiption on my QTH is/was impaired by common mode
(noise) currents coming along the safety wire,
flowing on the outside of equipment chassis,
over coax shield surface and being coupled into
the coax at the antenna. Those currents seem to
origin from relative high impedance voltage sources.
Preventing them from flowing along a conductor,
an even more higher series impedance is required.
To be effective in LF range, large values of
inductivity are required. Large inductors have a
great amount of self capacity which in return
again provides a conducting path for frequencies
above LF.

The cure in my case was to provide a private
earth connection at the antenna (shorting out the
noise voltages from shield to ground) and break up
the conducing path from G to pG, leaving the
leakage capacity in between both as the residual path for noise currents.

best 73 de Gamal