Re: LF: Mains Borne Noise

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Mains Borne Noise
From: "Costas Krallis" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:43:38 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
At 11:44 23/01/2001 +0100, you wrote:
Has anybody on the list got a "whole house" mains filter installed at their QTH?

Not a "whole house" mains filter, but a radio room
mains "filter".

All main supply to my radio equipment is run via a
single phase isolation transformer,...

The only problem with this approach is that in case of electrical
fault or lightning strike one of the two earths conductors is at
a high potential (voltage) in respect to the other. As the earth
conductors are connected also to various metal objects (water pipes,
equipment chassis etc) this situation can easily cause electrical
shock or fire.

A few years ago somebody tried a similar isolation system but conencted
together the two earth conductors with an inductor made of thick
electrical wire on a ferrite toroid. The coil had very small reactance
at power frequency (50/60 Hz) but blocked conducted noise at radio
frequencies.

Costas

| Costas Krallis SV1XV      *   LOC KM18UA                   |
| P.O.Box 3066              *   FAX: +30-1-3811362           |
| GR-10210 Athens           *   E-Mail: [email protected]        |
| GREECE                    *   PGP key: 0x3BDBBC34          |