LF: RE: 3C85 Material: Obsolete?

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: 3C85 Material: Obsolete?
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:55:04 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
N87 or N67 is a better material than 3C85 now.  Also 3E5 and 3F3 and
3C90.  In fact any ferrite meaterial specified as being suitable for
power transformers.  I don't know if torroid cores are available
(Farnell do not have any), but a wide range of SMPSU transformer cores
are made in it.

One promising looking core for the kiloWatt region is the ETD54 and
ETD59 sizes in 3C90 available from Farnell.   and are specified for use
up to 200kHz.

For my 600W Tx I use an ETD49 core in 3C85 which looks to be the
smallest useable at this level, and  runs at about 50 deg after several
hours transmitting at 100% duty cycle. As part of a project for the other end of the spectrum, I'm in the
process of designing a 300 - 400W SMPSU for converting a 12V car battery
supply to 28V so will be looking into similar sized cores as needed for
137kHz kW systems.

Andy  G4JNT