Re: LF: S-meter standard

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: S-meter standard
From: "Stewart Bryant" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 23:36:06 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
I know that this is a rather old thread that I have just come across when cleaning
up my mail whilst waiting to fly through an ice storm to Boston.

Why do the manufacturers still bother with S units. Why don't receivers just
measure dBuV or dBm at the antenna?

73

Strewart

Dick Rollema wrote:

To All from PA0SE Walter, DJ2LF, wrote:  But nevertheless - what about S9 on LF is 500uV? I would prefer to stick to S9 is 50µV over 50 ohms (or better S9 means -73dBm, to make it independent of  receiver input impedance) and  one S-point is 6dB. These are values recommended by IARU and therefore can be considered as a  "standard" that has been accepted internationally (except by the receiver manufacturers). I don't think IARU has  stated a lower frequency limit, only that it should be used below 30MHz. Using a new "standard" for LF would add to the confusion which is already big enough. If it is nevertheless felt that S9 is 500µV would be better for LF then this should be made a proposal to be presented at the next IARU conferences in the three regions. 73, Dick, PA0SE