Re: LF: QRSS

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: QRSS
From: "g3kev" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:36:26 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

Tom Boucher wrote:

In message <[email protected]>, g3kev
<[email protected]> writes

>........... maybe some morse lessons would be useful.

No, what would be much more useful for some would be lessons in good
manners on the air! For example, making sure that one does not call CQ
bang on top of a QSO in progress.

With only 2 khz of b/width on 136 khz, good narrow rx filters are
necessary to enable everyone to squeeze in. No one deliberately calls CQ
on top of anyone else, but with a wide rx it might appear that way.
Another problem is split frequency working. When one station is not
transmitting the frequency would appear clear. QRL imi in this case does
not work.
My RX consists of cascaded 250 hz IF filters followed by a DSP unit with
an adjustable BW down to 20 hz. Stations that start to CQ or engange in a
qso near by cause me no problems. MM0ALM who is S9 plus 40 db gives me no
trouble receiving only a few hz away from his frequency.
Suggest you try the hf bands on cw to get some real experience of adjacent
channel qrm and especially in contests, then come back to 136 khz and you
will find it a doddle by comparison.
A good modern RX might overcome your problem ie FT1000MP, with 250 hz
filters or there could be others.
Hope the above information helps enlighten you about your problem.
G3KEV

73, Tom G3OLB.