Re: LF: JT9-10 vs JT9-5 test ends with smoke :)

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: JT9-10 vs JT9-5 test ends with smoke :)
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 23:14:26 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=posteo.de; s=2017; t=1547590468; bh=Qr+AonA1h9/YxO1z5k/8Pd3kbvXPKlYTs19dSlqZ6Zc=; h=Date:From:To:Subject:From; b=i3ElyHANPLqZfgzUyaxGr4Oa/UX7h7kX3doEiWZAZYfh7Ut+7wGf18aYUYyon2QeG xXAdN5c5YGFdA2a6zSax6A1w6oyRdqZhLoX03otdh3JTwhcfco7KBQiWG64nzd1Q3R JUnwaSW0hm/o5y0SWAKl2avosJlMQ0KiaOyUpvbjfFMhOjTw1uIMuwwk6F0dLCoYEO G+3fE4/CMdLXfG4TShP37UJ66wnXI/KD2ICUEV6Q1fGjnLY0L8tfhH3WjuWj0GJjEj LQy96wrb7QyEsN100Q2H7daxG5YA5eFTCVIIDvesrpmLI/ewCK5JTNchBaqapDuQyM rIVEkQh3Pvc+A==
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Paul,

For VLF i use a protection circuit that monitors the antenna current. If it suddenly or slowly drops, the transmission is interrupted. This help to prevent smoking coils. In principle you just need an RX that converts to audio and ten feed this into SpecLab. There you directly calibrate the level into Ampere and produce a nice antenna current plot. You will see which drift and changes are normal and then you can decide at which level you interprete it as a fault. My circuit needs just 1 second to stop transmitting after the level has been crossed.
Maybe worth to consider?

73, Stefan

PS: Another technique may be without software: Measure the current of the PA (DC, input) and the antenna current. Then, compare these two voltages. If a certain ratio is lost, then stop TXing. There you don't even need a receiver and complex measurements.