Re: LF: No 2200m TX tonight

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: No 2200m TX tonight
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2018 17:54:51 +0000 (UTC)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=aol.com; s=a2048; t=1543082095; bh=l79854QncFVjMqnpI15HFlO0mgS9/4wEFqwJtPOPdRw=; h=Date:From:To:Subject:References:From:Subject; b=N7vjrP6SipKCAat16bIf63z0RbAaCdmP++pAb8zUnJ1xOLk8nvwTvmH7J/mrI99+IKPUbdX0iAP6AP0j7wsN3u3WvXJQ2ERWGeS8zBlpVuA4WCTptHq/NDGjaCtT3+MPXBdMJdIswsQwcWVutJvp5t9d1+ICfqBRN9TnyoK1HJPMePDuykxI/sQ4fdf/kViq9gGP1XWlVopFSKRG2ALhl/BZnT7CMBPg+rbiXrH+8lwePqbhLVsDmRMq1fev/S3hWFieGPFjz44sCukyjxUI6iL+XcZ+x7mms3yqN3490mdkFB0cDRXoA+ZOUzhWlagcjTg3r2lcyvNxaA4zIm5XTQ==
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Chris, Paul,

> I have always shorted out any unused turns on the loading coil

I would not do that at LF because the induced current in the shorted secondary can be high and will surely increase overall losses. This is an inductive heater! My understanding is that at HF, shorting low-band coil sections during high-band operation may be necessary to avoid hitting an unfortunate self-resonance, but I always felt that this is a compromise I would rather avoid.

73, Markus (DF6NM)