LF: JT9-2 and JT9-5 mode application: shown S/N values

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: JT9-2 and JT9-5 mode application: shown S/N values
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2018 18:46:07 +0000
Accept-language: nl-BE, en-GB, en-US
Sender: [email protected]

Dear all,

just a short notice that the shown S/N values are those delivered by the JT9 decoder, not taking the audio conversion into account.

This means that the real S/N values are about 3dB lower (more negative) that shown for JT9-2 and 7dB for JT9-5.

I did some test this afternoon that comfirms this: for JT9(-1) and JT9-2 signal of the same amplitude and added to the same noise the shown S/N values  for the JT9-2 signal were in average 2.7dB higher that for the JT9(-1) signal.

Although the S/N values are "just numbers", what really matters is if the signal decodes or not, I will correct this in the next release.

73, Rik  ON7YD - OR7T