Re: LF: VO1NA 8270.0075 Hz, 82 Hz phase

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: VO1NA 8270.0075 Hz, 82 Hz phase
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 11:37:13 -0400
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Joe,

the bottom of the ionosphere is higher at night, so the geometrical length of each hop increases. In that sense the phase variation is indeed a Doppler shift, produced by a receding / approaching mirror.

Normally at VLF this would probably be formulated in terms of phase velocity for waveguide modes instead of rays and hops, but the underlying physics is the same. Phase observations on MSK signals and fringing patterns on 19.8 kHz indicate that VLF waves are ~ 0.2% slower at night.

What is strange though is that at ELF frequencies the change seems to be the other way round, and much stronger. From simultaneous observations of ZEVS carrier phase in Amberg and Moonah, we surprisingly found that the phase velocity at 82 Hz appears to be 15% (!) faster at night.

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)