Re: LF: Slow JT9 modes...

To: LineOne <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Slow JT9 modes...
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2018 13:01:16 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=5y3nm+TSBpEK+74qdwlBXKE+0WuUAVR/2dXHfgNUu3Q=; b=U2yQcP6wjWtzR11Uglre+WPQepb8fur4a8S+jyPrPYl6yy0DhENTpHbqIq+THlq0ta rmXc5NO1X3iXPeDS28cJTPKr7VFdxkEbgQdhvpj6YkomBqNNY/r1pGAaYgAKBKmClwk4 gv1nkz4n+NafVsa/ME5/a4W5nUGdGiIXTvNRvh6hgKN6Qbm2WdVEsknMNWPp5Ihnhm09 6yrw0dyTHSr8hf+aUTFYgzbCVH5OTkGyac6Vu/0GKHgdv34vc9ft74GOPXcR3Cq79wsI gtfnj+hLtS99+atjGh9gdE8LzwvBl+U8UGjdSBFuNtvtAJAcG/XALUJGsH7bBLObT4F+ 66Ig==
Sender: [email protected]
The only reason PSK is said to require linear amplification is that in most practical implementations to control the spectrum the amplitude has an envelope applied, so it goes to zero when the phase flips.   PSK doesn't 'have' to use amplitude tailoring to control it's spectrum.  It is possible to ramp the phase instead and that will also proviude spectrum shaping - although its shape will be very different from envelope shaping.

With the slow PSK we're talking about for LF do the sidebands matter anyway?

Back in the early days of 73kHz several OPs used a mode called 'coherent' that was based around 10 symbols/s (10Hz)  hard switched BPSK with strong FEC.  And most people did use very hard switched - an XOR gate was typical.

When    many amateurs hear the term "PSK"  they tend to think of PSK31 specifically, which has the most extreme amplitude tailoring possible for the mose - and hence the narrowest bandwidth.    Communications efficiency of PSK31  is therefore quite badly degraded over what could be obtained with sharp edged switching with high sideband levels.