RE: ULF: A new band is opened up! 191 km | DL0AO results

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: ULF: A new band is opened up! 191 km | DL0AO results
From: <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2018 13:45:58 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20161114; t=1525369568; bh=N0+/o1IoQYMBzlnEfXv7e4QNyY/QifHKEQhktuS68dk=; h=Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=A3z0VCLrFV92IyuxPzdRPavAOVSWQ5mo7A0d5tbW28Ny7unIN0oimN/qp6UAqbpX1 UERsCU8g5ljHyei8T8CNUJvgQWdbvhsL6J5LY0NactDcZjsjROjeXSDgU/+szLmD68 fZneU3oYmDl7Dgu2J3UyivWAHxlSI942RAiTwdrqOGch2uZQJwNMS5d8lyjlRkMuMH 5Wm2tBf1IiR5AFJzgz/p7rwcvbvuC3M+zLHnmvmvOImWaS7xBXbnrb4V6f7IVdZvGv 7RX4KxrEsKR36HDR/MOBx97lNgyQLxYpuG6jqnzfsYCSrq5vno9GBYIF4Oj0BDFBcd pW24yTrJmjGcQ==
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Stefan,

Most exciting to see your latest venture, near the 2kHz-4kHz 100km-1000km
propagation wilderness (soon after reaching the attenuation summit* at ~ 17,000
km / 17kHz)
* (signal strength increasing at distances greater than 17,000km/17kHz)

Thunderstorms reduce (by up to 5%) the effective height of the ionosphere above
them (increasing reflection and affecting the electron density gradient, the
electron gyrofrequency and electron gyrofrequency gradient). Due to
thunderstorm-induced changes in the four essential parameters (height,
gyrofrequency and their gradients), a thunderstorm anywhere near an ELF-VLF
transmitter-receiver path can significantly affect amplitude and phase of the
received signal, and more substantially if the thunderstorm is strong and close
to the transmitter or receiver. If many waveguide modes are involved, the
phase/amplitude effects of the thunderstorm-induced changes to the ionosphere
above the storm are greater. Shorter paths generally mean more waveguide modes
(but very short paths mean groundwave stronger than all skywaves, so some
intermediate distance range is worst case), and being near modal-cutoffs (~
1.6kHz-4 kHz) means even more variation, so received signal phase and amplitude
in the region 2kHz-4kHz 100km-1000km are particularly sensitive to
thunderstorms, time-of-day variations in the ionosphere, nighttime changes in
the ionosphere, and small changes in transmitter-receiver separation distance.
This makes 2kHz-4kHz 100km-1000km somewhat of a rough untracked propagation
wilderness that will be described by experiments before models can accurately
account for all of the variables, which makes your reports from the wilderness
quite exciting.

The attached plot shows smooth-sailing at 1.57kHz, but the attached plot is for
one particular scenario of season, time of day, surface type, solar weather
condition, and tropospheric weather condition. It's certainly possible that
some combination of these parameters, including the widespread strong
thunderstorms that you reported, could elicit large amplitude and phase
variations near 1.57 kHz. One could imagine the peaks and nulls in the attached
plot moving left-right and many other ways as the four parameters vary due to
thunderstorms (and as distance, surface type, time-of-day, etc. vary depending
on the experimental configuration).
http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~callen/energy_harvesting/Cummer2000TAPpp1420-1429.pdf
shows ~ 1.6kHz amplitude somewhat higher during daytime, or 20 dB lower during
daytime, depending on model and conditions (including 3dB day/night difference
at 200km, 20dB day/night difference at 50km, for one configuration in Figures 8
vs 9 in the above paper). Widespread strong thunderstorms could affect 1.57 kHz
propagation in many ways: given that thunderstorms reduce the height of the
ionosphere above them as does daytime, and increase ULF/VLF reflectance as does
daytime, one could suspect that thunderstorms might move a 1.6kHz null to a
slightly higher frequency (as does daytime under particular conditions in
Figures 6 vs 7 in the above paper), which would increase 1.57kHz signal
strength without generally increasing lightning noise; realistically there are
many other factors but it's safe to say that a substantial SNR peak during
thunderstorms at 1.57kHz is not unlikely at short and intermediate distances.

It's quite interesting to see your thunderstorm SNR data in the fascinating
intermediate-distance, multi-mode waveguide-cutoff region; best of luck in the
ongoing experiment at 1.57 kHz.

73,

Jim AA5BW