Re: LF: W1VD amp help - more waveforms

To: LineOne <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: W1VD amp help - more waveforms
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 19:06:46 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=MsRYo8v0KhpdFsD6aeCEpeE50icw3mij+ddcsho8+J8=; b=FkOPoN63TUOKJ8zrOfYtIrqXjHdhm9CWPl7r7zJ2iSNUjuJeV5I/Y9nlwd5EP8geP3 dgVmWlTKCJjsCfuUdzuIwfxXs6MzcYzuhwHYFvY6yh+5wSHSwcXEgKPoznMPQ3ximxVz 1M2858roVCqq43q7mMM9bMj7As6WS635uorByAdxhxAfT80RW6fDsLjpj8XHtv40/8Nk Y+OckN0Ta2CVnG+yNYybxawFucXqvwHADCWxQG4v2jba2zUI5bd2g8fNuBx5uWbTasg7 0i3UkXWZczeO6+Q0TqPdtyFmrTmet68unQRW81MfH2H1ZzpggAQ6Ln98ijbGh6tSMhx9 kpuA==
Sender: [email protected]
I'm a bit late coming to this discussion, but that ringing looks exactly like that you get when there is too much leakage inductance in the transformer.  It is common to see such waveforms in SMPSUs and they have to be snubbed with a, well, a snubber network,  Usually a C / R / Diode network to catch and dump the spikes.   As Jay says, the windings do look a bit 'loose' and they'll certainly be giving some leakage inductance.

I've never used toroids in high power LF PAs but have always used more traditional shaped cores like ETD types and pot cores - not least because they are cheaper than torroids, but more importantly, they enclose the  winding in ferrite much more , so reducing leakage.

But there again, I wouldn't do an LF transmitter by switching into a transformer in the first place.  Far better to start off with resonant circuitry such as a tank directly onteh active devices, THEN use a transformer when the waveform is sinusoidal, or nearly so.   That way, leakage inductance doesn't give spikes; it just contributes a bit of spurious L that you can absorb into the reactive components and tune out.   Hence, I'd only ever go for the series tank or class-E solution.

Andy  G4JNT