Re: VLF: DL to VK7 ?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: DL to VK7 ?
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2018 15:38:28 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=posteo.de; s=2017; t=1521297510; bh=YT3/fT5FAtE15Ed71hDnzEH2XPwndN8Qf6I2bdwvk08=; h=Date:From:To:Subject:From; b=hgNOWAzvpp7mEk7b7ZM0zjhhtr25LHt7+mdPQkENcrx8L+iw+mDpefIg+45kYgyE9 lVX38xuxN3FZCtvSQNsrwEdrf216C4zlafzJQnc8TBXnogAOE9pwSOmKDIbKEAyeLT 33rO5a+Gj1acqOFYfX/YPyYp78DflZ/7VkwFLGi09V6m046SsfWQYbORXmZ63SoRi/ Aihz9w5mqZz4pg5JsCi0JI/DtDdG8YB3pgLB4cfkeqHO99zSszeAyMG+ZwyuFql+g+ MObblIANMwcXHn1W4yCKqAhaXemmqoxJY0AhmUZ4lh6dhFIc9dLpglCCteW6HbE3Fm V0Id1XNXrfVtw==
Sender: [email protected]
VLF,

Another file from Edgar. Now we can already compare two individual days as well as stacked days. As expected, the phase seems to be quite dynamic making it hard to pass a message to down under.
I improved the plot a bit by reducing the measurement interval to 5 minutes. I also added a trace for a 30 minute carrier which reaches up to 7.55 dB in 556 uHz!
3 plots are available now.
15 March: http://www.iup.uni-heidelberg.de/schaefer_vlf/VLF/VK7_15MAR.png
16 March: http://www.iup.uni-heidelberg.de/schaefer_vlf/VLF/VK7_16MAR.png
15+16 March, unweighted stack: http://www.iup.uni-heidelberg.de/schaefer_vlf/VLF/VK7_1516MAR.png

Unfortunately the stacking does not improve the SNR, it reduces it! This can be expected from an extremely dynamic propagation as it seems to be.
We can now continue to watch a few more individual days and the stacked days. If the phase is not reproducable at all, the stacked SNR will become lower each day. If it is reproducable, there will be a peak building up.

Another idea is to correct the phase by using other signals within the band. HWU on 18.3 kHz is not so far away, regarding location and frequency. One could try to track HWU and its phase and then correct the phase of my signal by the HWU phase. Meanwhile i would call this valid :-) Edgar is already preparing for HWU measurements!

73, Stefan