RE: VLF: 1.6 Hz from Kiruna?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: VLF: 1.6 Hz from Kiruna?
From: "Clemens Paul" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 20:42:06 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi David,

>>Maybe you can disclose at least the the 3dB BW of this kind of antenna?

>Hi Clemens, I'm not sure I understand your question.

The 3 dB bandwidth is f0/Q and  Q is defined as X/R
where X is the reactance of the inductor and the capacitor at the
resonant frequency.

The lossless-Q of a small antenna is a useful academic quantity, and is
the reactance divided by the radiation-resistance.  It gives the maximum
theoretical Q for any given small antenna, and then the actual Q can be
measured on the real antenna.  The radiation efficiency is the lossless Q
divided by the actual Q, by the equations:

Qlossless = X/Rrad,

Qactual = X/(Rrad+Rloss),

Qactual/Qlossless = Rrad/(Rrad+Rloss) = radiation efficiency.

An interesting limit for small antennas is the minimum lossless Q that can
be achieved, and was derived by Chu in 1948 from only the frequency and
the size of the antenna.

73
Clemens
DL4RAJ