Re: LF: Progress? with the PA

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Progress? with the PA
From: Alan de G1FXB <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 20:33:15 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.co.uk; s=s2048; t=1515530001; bh=2qrBLCcb2auhr01me5g+DR4OML1yPMGjvXeplGJ9roc=; h=Subject:To:References:From:Date:In-Reply-To:From:Subject; b=Z+rqELNvQzRG9YmFPWYEE78a2u5PuNLHlVtLplCEKUvPp45ENfsKwxXs6irOIeYmDEGZ+QrOpf8mVhzH4dmw6GzIseYIZBzAMdq/TrCOaluVu/QjBjcQrB73358cyqpAVAz57LoOCABluvUWzRM0hHDmoF2YBuEJJBTI474sh0/sRuzveQODuskdi5hBSL6JbXKCGlpxydcjkOtJqSr0Wn+QUuDV5T+ju9MwyJ2enyABO9NbZ6wEEqETIryEWhz9Mxz1z9TnhNK3VumyDrZRYA8vqw+RPpCNRNCOvZZ9ZqdKiuK7McjXDjclCaVM9NRCzmosYxY0CTFPwJ+nvlyPoA==
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Paul , Nick and any others using that PA design,

(I 've being subscribed to the RSGB LF feed for 4-5 years ? and of course seen reference to the blacksheep feed but interpreted that as being a legacy rather than where I recently I subscribed and found to be where the activity is. I make it brief  in-case I'm so wide off topic I'll fall of the edge of the planet, and NOT to sound like I know what I'm talking about....

What MAY explain that circuits instability WRT to antenna loads as opposed to a 50 Ohm load)

Tony's design
 http://qrp-labs.com/ultimate3/u3mods/lfamp.html
was made around the era of the QRP Labs U3 using the AD9850 module with a sine wave + associated DDS spectra through the BS170 PA IF you are using the current U3S design that uses the Si5351 synthesiser it is driving through the untuned PA a square wave with a very different spectra. I think Hans has described HIS PA as just being untuned  broadband in the sine wave fed U3 and 'Class D in the biased adjusted U3S design, not class E as there are no frequency dependant components.

To further blur the situation on the referring page,
http://qrp-labs.com/ultimate3/u3mods.html#lf
Tony details coupling capacitor value changes, which are now used in the U3S design?? But also a change to what will be your driver stage ferrite.
So his PA would probably be driven by this modified U3?

(Everybody has their own goals, favourite topology and most importantly junk box.... If it were a clean sheet of paper and you wanted a class E PA using a common switcher FET device, rather than an RF device.) Work with the fact the Si5351 outputs square waves, use that to drive the final stage rather than through an (RF) driver stage. If you need a pulse shaper or just like the idea of a buffer stage, then do it at logic switching levels in the PA Gate rather than RF.

Hopefully not being interpreted arrogant interloper. :-[
regards Alan