RE: LF: Iron dust toroids and heating

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: Iron dust toroids and heating
From: "Clemens Paul" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 14:04:44 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Chris,

>So  in simple terms, does this mean that it is to be expected that the
>G3YXM  LPF  will  NOT  work correctly on the W1VD amp? If so, again in
>simple terms please ;) , why?

Markus (DF6NM) has given an excellent expanation in his posting from 7/14/2007:

"...the PI-type combiner per se is not the problem. All I was trying to say is
that you have to prevent it from short-circuiting the
harmonics directly at the output of a (voltage-mode) class-D PA. In that case,
I would recommend a T-type low-pass filter between
each PA and combiner input, starting with a series inductor rather than a shunt
capacitor.
Note that the desired harmonic load impedance depends on the type of Class-D
PA: Voltage-mode class D with rectangular voltage and
sinusoidal current should see a high impedance termination for harmonics, i.e.
an inductor or series resonant circuit. On the other
hand, current-mode class D designs would have sinusoidal voltage and
rectangular current, and require a low-impedance shunt for
harmonics..."

73
Clemens
DL4RAJ