Re: LF: Varistor spike management

To: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Varistor spike management
From: Chris Wilson <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 14:52:17 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=from:date:message-id:to:subject:in-reply-to:references:mime-version :content-transfer-encoding; bh=sV07Uxgv1GVpjM9LbmXjlz62DsEBmM4Qs8uY9YN/vvI=; b=ZOCRYq59FCHkF/XNgdPd6GMc4g/KrYCzsl7pKgnb6x2R3Phy/VaIo0Dpizoqo6c3CK 0lTnKtBOZbWl6qunE8WtzR+BNLABJflo743itn/Ewb2MMn4/M7D5eVYvb//kx4GdX//6 TapclPRvIesxg1jBmziH16PyVFQWHptxp8oaxlV7AZBYQ1mux22PUbzjt+gy4Tax64+B UqMi6tDZh0aYVtm1SelWoIvvFACRxJtsXbUGgt+GCUA7+sfFMvJCYa6/AaQUBrka/jxT qRZYQNkDg964gMURUr4ggSIVIGNDsIsz0PHEpIsFqjbJXUb3Ftl62s1svA5xh1eI1Im7 UdGg==
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Markus,

Friday, April 28, 2017, 2:32:50 PM

Another mail from me should appear in a minute, with a typo saying I
have 1500pF and 10 ohms low inductance resistor "Drain to Gate". It is
of course Drain to Source.... ;)

The circuit is Jay's, W1VD and built even duplicating, near as damn
it, his mechanical layout. As such the supply to each amp has a 4700uF
electrolytic to ground, right by the choke. I then added a 100V 0.1uF
ceramic as well, across the electrolytic. Supply is an HP 52V @ 57 or
something Amps SMPS from a computer server. Like this one, but un
modified:

http://www.qsl.net/kf8od/50vdcpsu.html

The leads from SMPS to amp(s) is figure of eight speaker wire, with
about 4mm diameter pure copper stranded conductors. The lead is about
3 feet long. I tried winding as many turns around a .4 inch OD 43
material toroid but it didn't seem to make any difference to the spike
energy. You are quite correct the energy takes quite a while to
dissipate...

Amp circuit and info here:

http://www.w1vd.com/137-500-KWTX.html

Thanks Markus!

--
Best regards,
 Chris                            mailto:[email protected]