Re: LF: Varistor spike management

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Varistor spike management
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 09:32:50 -0400
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Chris,

the "overshoot" screenshot seems to indicate that ihe peak is not only a short RF spike but caused by a longer positive excursion of the supply voltage. This is probably caused by the suddenly ending current consumption when the carrier goes off. If the supply line contains significant inductance, it will try to sustain the current and thus increase the voltage. In a switchmode supply this could easily happen in the output ripple filter. A larger electrolytic cap (e.g. 100 uF) across the DC line near the PA should fix it.

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)